Security researcher says Iran to blame for its own Duqu infections

InfoSec News <[email protected]> Tue, 15 Nov 2011 00:08:18 -0600 (CST)
Newsgroups gmane.comp.security.attrition.infosec-news
Message-ID <[email protected]>
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9221802/Security_researcher_says_Iran_to_blame_for_its_own_Duqu_infections

By Gregg Keizer
Computerworld
November 14, 2011

An Iranian government official yesterday acknowledged that the Duqu 
attacks had infected computers in the country but claimed that the 
Trojan was "under control," according to a report by a state-run news 
agency.

In response, an antivirus researcher blamed Iran for giving hackers a 
half-year's free hand with Duqu, saying that Iran's policy of not 
sharing samples delayed the detection of the malware and the patching of 
the Windows zero-day it exploited.

On Sunday, Brigadier General Gholamreza Jalali told the official IRNA 
news agency that some computers in Iran had been infected with Duqu, 
that possible targets were being checked for infections, and that the 
country's specialists had crafted defenses against the Trojan.

Jalali heads Iran's Passive Defense Organization, a military unit 
responsible for constructing and defending the country's nuclear 
enrichment facilities. He is a former commander in Iran's Revolutionary 
Guard.

[...]


_____________________________________________________
Subscribe to InfoSec News - www.infosecnews.org
http://www.infosecnews.org/mailman/listinfo/isn