EU: Sharon and Arafat must both go

Kendall Clark <kendall-4GNy1lrxftmrG/[email protected]> Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:55:07 -0600
Newsgroups gmane.politics.leftists.monkeyfist
Message-ID <[email protected]>
Guardian (London) - April 2, 2002

Arafat and Sharon should resign, says EU official

* EU official calls for new leadership
* Sharon says Arafat should go into exile
* Gun battles rage across West Bank towns
* Siege of Palestinian HQ ends

Sarah Left and agencies

As gun battles raged across the West Bank towns of Bethlehem and
Ramallah, the EU foreign policy head, Javier Solana, today called on
the Israeli prime minister and the Palestinian leader to step aside
and make way for new leadership.

Near the reputed birthplace of Jesus, Bethlehem's Manger Square,
Israeli tanks and helicopter gunships traded fire with a dozen
Palestinian gunmen. Nearby, there was a heavy exchange of fire outside
the Roman Catholic Santa Maria convent. The Israeli military said
gunmen were shooting from the convent at Israeli soldiers.

The Israeli army today declared both Bethlehem and Ramallah closed
military zones, refusing to let reporters or European diplomats enter
the towns. Witnesses said four Palestinian civilians had been killed
in fighting in Ramallah and Bethlehem.

Speaking to a Spanish radio station today, Mr Solana said the
occupation of Palestinian towns would worsen the situation.

He added that the battle between the Palestinian leader, Yasser
Arafat, and the Israeli prime minister, Ariel Sharon, appeared to be
bitterly personal.

"Sharon and Arafat ... have lived through this conflict for too long.
I do not wish them any harm, but it would not appear bad to me if they
allowed other people to lead this conflict," Mr Solana said.

As if to underscore Mr Solana's stance, today Mr Sharon for the first
time publicly proposed sending Mr Arafat into exile in Europe. He said
that Mr Arafat - currently under de facto house arrest in his Ramallah
headquarters - would be released to European diplomats on condition
that he does not return.

Speaking to Israel Radio, Mr Sharon said he had told the European
Union envoy, Miguel Moratinos, that he could fly a helicopter into
Ramallah and remove Mr Arafat.

"First, I would have to bring this to the cabinet. Second, he [Mr
Arafat] can't take anyone with him, the murderers who are located
around him there. And the third thing is that it would have to be a
one-way ticket. He will not be able to return," Mr Sharon said.

A Palestinian cabinet minister, Saeb Erekat, responded today that the
remarks signalled a more sinister intent of Mr Sharon. He told the
Reuters news agency that Mr Arafat would not accept exile under any
circumstances, and that Mr Sharon was laying the groundwork for an
assassination attempt.

In the Ramallah suburb of Beitunia, the Israeli military continued
shelling the hillside headquarters of the Palestinian security force
until approximately 400 people trapped inside began to emerge as part
of a negotiated surrender.

Palestinian security sources said a US and European-brokered agreement
had paved the way for the surrender of the headquarters.

Israel had said those inside included 50 fugitives wanted in
connection with attacks against Israel, but Jibril Rajoub, the
Palestinian security chief in the West Bank, denied there were any
wanted men there. Local reports said about 200 people emerged and
surrendered to the army this evening.

Viewed from a short distance just after daybreak, the walled complex
was devastated. The main office building was a scorched and
smouldering hulk, and orange flames licked one side of it.

Mr Rajoub was not in the building at the time of last night's attack,
but he said 20 people had been wounded and medical personnel were not
being allowed to treat the injured.